I'm sure at some point in your lives, each of you have pondered just what it is that you're doing with your life, with your time here on earth. Lately, that has been the question on my mind.
I pay money to see movies like "12 Years A Slave" and "Blood Diamond" - based on true stories of the realities of the evil that exists in our world - for entertainment! I try to ignore the evening news reports of the continuous evil occurring right outside our closed blinds, just as fiercely in this modern society as ever before. Doesn't God expect me to do something to help? How am I going to stand before Him and explain why I didn't take care of my brothers and sisters? This is the question that keeps me up at night.
I sit comfortably in my overabundance complaining, pleading for my "unfortunate soul", when so many of my brothers and sisters are desperately crying out for things like safety, equality, food, clean water to drink, a roof over their head, or medicine to heal their infirmities. "Will help ever come?", they might ask. I feel helpless, wondering what I could ever do that would make a difference, but I cannot, in good conscience, sit idle anymore. I have to do something. I have to try.
I have been ungrateful and I am undeserving of all the many blessings I've been given.
I complain. About money, about my old, run down home. I complain, and complain, "Why me? When is it my turn? When will I ever catch a break?"
So, tonight I cried out to God...
"Please forgive me for being so ungrateful for all of my many blessings! There are others who are much more deserving than I. Please, God, change my ungrateful heart and provide a way for me to find my brothers and sisters who are in need, that I may be to help them somehow."
9 years ago


1 comment:
Hi Heather! Thank you for your insights through this blog. I have had the Dame thoughts!
I going to be in Provo on June 14 with my family. I am trying to see if I can get together with you and Elise (and your families if you'd like) for an hour or so that afternoon. I was thinking we could meet at a park or at BYU. I'm not positive on our car situation that day yet, but thought I'd throw this out there in case it would work. Is love to see you!
Post a Comment