This week I'm teaching the Primary children about gifts and talents. I sometimes joke that I'm still trying to find out what my talents are, although inside I really wonder sometimes. The media portrays status, money, singing, acting, beauty as the comparative standard. This can be confusing to many of us. They paint a picture of what beauty is, what talent is, etc... I don't sing, don't play an instrument, not a talented writer, can't dance or do gymnastics, not good at sports, am not extremely intelligent, feel kinda "plain jane" most days.
As I was looking for inspiration for my lesson, I came across a talk given by President Hinckley about this very thing. I am happy to be able to share this with my Primary kids (in simpler words), and with you! Hope we all try to remember this.
All of us have something special to offer the world. We all have a purpose. Look deep inside and find what that is for you.
God loves ALL of His children equally. And that's who's love should matter the most.
President Hinckley once read this poem:
Somebody loves you, I want you to know,
Longs to be near you, wherever you go.
(Charlie Tobias and Peter De Rose, “Somebody Loves You,” Edwin H. Morris & Co., Inc., 1932)
And he said:
I wish you—each of you, wherever you are—to know that you are loved. You are loved by your Father in Heaven. And He desires that His Holy Spirit will be near you wherever you go if you will invite it and cultivate it.
Some of you may feel that you are not as attractive and beautiful and glamorous as you would like to be. Rise above any such feelings, cultivate the light you have within you, and it will shine through as a radiant expression that will be seen by others. You need never feel inferior. You need never feel that you were born without talents or without opportunities to give them expression. Cultivate whatever talents you have, and they will grow and refine and become an expression of your true self appreciated by others.
9 years ago


5 comments:
Thanks, Heather. That was really good!
I love primary!! I always feel such a love for the kids, and the spirit that is felt when someone like you gives a lesson like that will always be remembered!
You are an amazing friend and that is such an important talent!!! I understand what you mean, I have many days when I wonder what I am good for. Thanks for the inspired post.
I bet that was a good lesson. Thanks for sharing that with us. I think you have a lot of talent to offer!
Post a Comment